Dedicated to helping ensure that as nanotechnology advances, possible risks are minimized, public and consumer engagement remains strong, and potential new benefits are realized. Learn About Nanotechnology Nanotechnology Business
- Inventory Finds Increase in Consumer Products Containing Nanoscale Materials The updated Nanotechnology Consumer Products Inventory now contains 1,628 consumer products that have been introduced to the market since 2005, representing a 24 percent increase since the last update in 2010. In addition to finding new products introduced to the market, the newly re-launched inventory seeks to address scientific uncertainty with contributions from those involved with nanomaterials production, use, and analysis.
- New Case Study Explores Influence of PEN Efforts A new case study looks at the work of the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies (PEN) amidst the shift away from government-led technology assessment.
- NIOSH, CDC to Examine Health Effects of Carbon Nanotubes in Workplace The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health are taking public comment on their plans for a new exposure assessment and epidemiological study of U.S. workers that are exposed to carbon nanotubes and nanofibers.
- FDA Releases Food, Cosmetic Nanotechnology Guidances for Public Comment The Food & Drug Administration has released two new guidance documents for public comment outlining agency policy for the use of nanotechnology in food ingredients and packaging and the use of nanotechnology in cosmetic products.
- New EC Publication Marks New Strategy Towards Responsible Innovation The European Commission’s Science in Society Programme reflects on how to proceed towards Responsible Research and Innovation in the Information and Communication Technologies and Security Technology fields.
- New Report Finds Public Perception of Nanotechnology Not Negative Today the Food Standards Authority issued a report on consumer attitudes to the use of nanotechnology in Food, drinks and other related products such as processing and packaging. The results, based on focus group studies, suggest that the public perception of nanotechnology in food is not negative, and is based on weighing up the benefits with risks.
- Charting a Path PEN 19 - Voluntary Initiatives, Regulation, and Nanotechnology Oversight Dr. Daniel J. Fiorino
- February 16, 2011 Socio-Technical Integration Research Project Workshop 4 Join the Synthetic Biology Project on February 16 and 17 for the Socio-Technical Integration Research (STIR) Project Workshop 4.
- December 1, 2010 Nanotechnology Research Directions for Societal Needs in 2020 Release of a new report,“Nanotechnology Research Directions for Societal Needs in 2020” (Eds. M. Roco, C. Mirkin and M. Hersam), Springer, 2010.